Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The beginning

Scott and I(Carrie) decided to start our adoption journey in June 2005. Both of us newbies to this entire process really had no idea what we were in for! When we first stepped into our adoption agency we REALLY thought all we needed to do was fill out some paper work and it would be smooth sailing. Boy were we in for a rude awakening. As most of our close friends and family are more than aware of, it didn't really go just like that.
Over the past 3 years Scott and I have had to ask ourselves many times what to do, we wondered if we made the right decision, and we would think are we really cut out for this? Individually I don't think we would have made it this far but, together I truely believe that this is exactly where we are meant to be. How could we question it. I mean come on, we got fingerprinted 3 times, had our background checked locally and by the federal government, we proved that we are finacially ready, we even proved that we are healthy by having our Dr's give us every test known to man.......among numerous other things that really don't seem to matter anymore. Honestly the fact that we can see the light at the end of the tunnel brings such anticipation and joy.
During this process we have been told by people who had completed their adoption already, that once you hold that baby you will forget everything that you went through to get to this point. And I know that they are right. I chose to start the story of our journey now because all of that which is behind us may have been a struggle at times but we know that our story will begin once God brings our family together. We have trusted that God knows what he is doing and that is what has allowed us to wait patiently (sometimes no so patiently). I am grateful everyday that I had Scott to go through this with, I don't think I could have managed to move forward and keep the faith without Scott's insights and humor (of course). It has all been a matter of perspective and Scott is always good at putting that twist on things. When Scott pointed out how difficult these little babies lives are from the start and how good we have it, it was like wow! I started to focus on all the blessings we have around us daily. I also started to realize that waiting which seemed like such a hard thing really became, well no so hard. When realizing that when I'm hungry I can eat whatever I want. When I am cold I can grab a blanket or turn up the heat. When I want a hug I have plenty of willing arms around me. Many of these simple things that we take for granted, daily, these little babies go without. So that is what kept us going strong and with a smile on our face. I'm lucky to be blessed with such a smart man.

1 comment:

alyxo said...

I am really happy for you guys. You're a great couple and Im sure that means you'll be the greatest parents. Theres no way to explain how much I do believe lucy will be happy and love you guys :).
Good luck on the trip and I am really excited for you and lucy!
love aly.